With a mission aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), TRANSFORM supports countless market-based solutions that meet the needs of low-income communities. In 2018, we created five Thematic Pillars.
These five Thematic Pillars provide a strategic focus for our mission, with corresponding strategies that identify where TRANSFORM can be uniquely catalytic. Reflecting many of the goals of the SDGs, we partner with social enterprises that address a range of low-income household needs:
- Water – Supporting solutions that improve access to, and consumption of, safe water through brand reach, behaviour change and technology.
- Sanitation & Hygiene – Developing sustainable sanitation solutions for the underserved by improving marketing and demand creation.
- Health & Wellbeing – Supporting digitally enabled businesses that address multiple health and wellbeing needs by promoting supply and demand, with a focus on women and youth.
- Rural Livelihoods – Working across rural value chains to test new business models and generate insights to improve rural lives and livelihoods through entrepreneurship.
- Energy & Environment – Supporting businesses that improve the environment, health, and livelihoods of low-income communities.
Impactful solutions such as Sanergy, Kasha, ENVenture, Sunlight Water Centres and d.light are just some examples that fit within these five pillars and meet sanitation, water and energy needs, among others. They receive support and funding from TRANSFORM, in keeping with our key principles:
- Scaling sustainable business
TRANSFORM identifies early-stage social businesses and helps them scale to transformative market-based solutions that will eventually become self-sustaining in a virtuous cycle of growth.
- Unlocking potential though innovation
TRANSFORM partners with social enterprises to deliver innovative projects that unlock something unique that can have a catalytic impact on the business and the consumers it serves.
- Digital tools and behaviour change
With a focus on digital tools and behaviour change, TRANSFORM supports sustainable business solutions that have the potential to improve the lives of millions of people in developing countries.
- Sharing insights with the world
The partnership is committed to research and learning, sharing insights from the programme and projects with other businesses, non-profit organisations and governments to encourage uptake by others.
Overall, TRANSFORM and these five Thematic Pillars provide key strategies to enhance the livelihoods of underserved markets in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. Stay tuned to learn about the upcoming opportunities to accomplish these goals.