In July 2019, 47 countries across the world will present their voluntary reviews of the UN’s 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The High-Level Political Forum 2019 (HLPF) will take place at the UN Headquarters in New York from the 9th to the 18th July.
HLPF will include the participation of UN Member-States and several other major groups and stakeholders, as well as a three-day ministerial meeting. They will convene under the theme ‘Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality’.
SDGs in review
The 2030 Agenda encourages member states to conduct regular reviews of progress regarding the SDGs. These voluntary national reviews are crucial monitoring tools to improve and accelerate the achievement of the Goals and serve as a basis for the HLPF’s regular reviews.
States will be given the opportunity to share successes, challenges and lessons learned, as well as create partnerships with other relevant stakeholders. HLPF 2019 will focus on an in-depth review of six SDGs in particular:
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
There is also an online review platform that gathers voluntary inputs from countries taking part in the national voluntary reviews, as well as inputs from governmental bodies, major groups and stakeholders. Topics range from anti-bullying to biodiversity conservation.
Inclusiveness and equality
The report of the Secretary-General on ‘Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality’ – the theme of HLPF 2019 – will inform the high-level discussions that will take place.
“Efforts to achieve the Goals must ensure meaningful and inclusive participation of all actors at all levels to catalyse a shared sense of empowerment,” emphasises the report. The discussions will focus on policy recommendations to reduce inequality, support vulnerable groups and build synergies for action.
The full HLPF programme includes official meetings, side events and SGDs Learning, Training and Practice. It is a crucial forum to promote global sustainable development and for countries to learn from experts, practitioners and each other. Please check the HLPF website for more information.