As part of our mission to reduce poverty and make sustainable living commonplace, TRANSFORM has launched its Open Call! Applications are now open for social entrepreneurs and innovators to create an impact, by helping us meet the targets of the following 3 challenges:
How can we provide sanitation to low-income households?- We are looking for market-based approaches that provide sanitation in low-income urban and rural communities in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
How can we raise awareness and demand for safe water? - We want to identify scalable solutions that build awareness and demand for safe and affordable drinking water in highly dispersed rural households across India.
How can we ensure impactful products reach rural communities? - This call is for innovative models that open up access to high-impact products for underserved consumers in hard-to-reach rural locations (countries of particular interest include Nigeria, Ethiopia, India, Bangladesh and Myanmar).
We are inviting social entrepreneurs and innovators to submit their applications for technical assistance and funding to develop, test and prepare their ideas for scale. TRANSFORM is specifically looking for business project ideas that:
- Have the potential to be financially viable at scale. An income generation model should be clear.
- Have the potential to meet the household needs of low-income consumers, including beneficiaries in Living Standards Measure (LSM) categories 1-3.
- Create impact in DFID’s priority countries in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, or have clear applicability to one of these geographies.
- Have the potential to reach scale by 2025, reaching a large number of beneficiaries.
- Address the challenge in a new way. Applications should propose innovative solutions.
- Are delivered by organisations and individuals with a strong track record, and with adequate resources in the market country to implement the project.
- Have relevance to one of TRANSFORM’s partners, so we can maximise the value we can contribute to the project.
- Have a duration of up to 24 months.
Before submitting your application, please check that it meets the above criteria. Applicants have eight weeks to submit their proposal, which is the first step of the Open Call process. If successful throughout each stage of the process, TRANSFORM will provide grantees with funding of between £100,000 and £300,000, as well as a project lead, access to expert partners and technical assistance.
For more information, please visit the FAQ section of TRANSFORM’s website. Looking for inspiration? Read some of the success stories we have shared of market-based solutions that are meeting the needs of low-income households in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.